Clever Sin Object Lessons for Sunday School
For your elementary kids
Sin is important to be able to explain to kids so they understand. Here are a couple fin or clever ideas for using everyday objects to explain what God's Word says about sin.
Share this with friends:
1. Severed Rope
This object lesson shows how sin separates us from our Heavenly Father.
Key Thought: Sin separates us from God.
- long piece of rope
- Watch the video above to learn the "magic" trick
- Fold the rope in half, bring the middle of it to the top and use the scissors to cut it it half.
- Bring the ends down so you have two pieces
- Tie the top two pieces together.
- Magically slide the knot right off the rope!
Tip: Before doing this in class, take a minute to practice. It's not difficult, but you won't get it perfect the first time 🙂
Sin is when we disobey God's law - the rules He has made for all human beings.
And that sin is serious because it separates us from God.
And no matter how much good we do in the future, there is still no way to make up for doing wrong, for sinning.
That's why we are so thankful that God sent His son Jesus to the earth to die on the cross and pay the penalty for our sins.
2. The Sin Solution
This object lesson explains why Jesus died, and how that paid for our sin.
(That's not me in this video)..but this guy does do a great job!
Key Thought: Jesus defeated the power of sin.
- 3 clear containers
- Marker or labels for each container
- a towel for some light cleanup 🙂
- Fill the YOU container with water
- Fill the SIN container with water and iodine
- Fill the JESUS container with water and bleach
- Pour SIN into YOU
- Pour SIN into JESUS
- Pour JESUS into YOU
There are a number of different ways you can narrate this object lesson. The video above does a great job of presenting one of them.
A couple other ideas to consider:
- Once YOU is black consider pouring YOU back into JESUS to talk about giving all our sin to Jesus and asking Him to save us.
- The stronger the bleach mixture in the JESUS bottle the better.
- You can find iodine in the medical bandages and stuff at your local Walmart / Target / etc...
- I would use different sized containers like the video. It takes a fair amount of iodine to make a nice black color so a small SIN container works well
Free Complete Lesson on Faith and Trusting in God
Includes songs, games, this object lesson, a fun lesson script, small group materials, take home sheet and more!
3. Disappearing Sin
This object lesson reminds your elementary kids that Jesus can wash away their sin if they ask Him to!
Key Thought: Jesus washes away my sin.
- Paper Towel
- Permanent Marker
- Washable Markers
- With PERMANENT MAKER draw a heart on both sides of the towel
- Draw "sin" all over the heart on the inside of the fold with WASHABLE marker
- Gently lay the paper towel in the water and tap it to wash all the sin (the washable marker) away.
Our hearts are full of sin. (We believe in total depravity at BetterBible Teachers - more about our beliefs here.)
And although we pretend like there is nothing wrong sometimes we know that we don't even live up to OUR OWN standards - much less, God's standard.
And not obeying God, or living up to His standards is called sin.
The good news is that Jesus died for our sins - so that we can be washed clean!
This simply beautiful object lesson pictures this perfectly.
4. Only One Way to Heaven
In this object lesson we are reminded that because of our sin, there is only ONE way to Heaven.
Key Thought: There is only one way to heaven.
- cardboard circle template (empty bathroom tissue roll works great)
- Show the cardboard with all 5 dots showing
- Flip it over to show 2 days
- Flip it over to show 4 dots (hand covering one)
- Flip it over to show 1 dot (hand covering one)
We like to think that sin "isn't that bad.
Or that...God will accept us for being "good enough."
But we know what sin really means..that it results in forever death - and there is only ONE way of "escape". And that's to accept Jesus as your personal Savior.
This object lesson works best when it is done quickly, so run it through a couple times in the mirror before you show it to your elementary Sunday School class.
5. A Sin Free Life
In this easy sin object lesson we see that God forgives ALL of our sin - no matter what we have done.
Key Thought: God wants to forgive all of our sin.
- clear glass of water
- laminated paper printed back on one side, and red on the other
- a black cloth
- Show the glass of water with the black paper showing
- Cover the glass with the cloth and secretly spin it around to show the red side
- Remove the laminated paper and black cloth in one motion to reveal just clear water.
When God forgives us of our sin - it is complete. He covers our past and future sin with what He did on the cross.
Of course, that doesn't. mean we have permission to do whatever we want...no way! Asking Jesus to forgive us of our sin means entering into a relationship with Him where it is our desire to do what He says.
But what a wonderful truth to be reminded of...that when we are forgiven, we are COMPLETELY forgiven for everything we have done.
Share this with friends:
6. Gospel Airplane Object Lesson
In this paper object lesson we see that there is NOTHING we can do to be with God on our own.
Key Thought: Believing in Jesus allows us to go to Heaven.
- I'm not going to try to describe all the folds...just follow the directions in the video 🙂
Part origami, and part object lesson. This is a different object lesson that you don't need anything special for. Aside from understanding how to fold the paper this one is simple!
This object lesson is also a great, post-lesson craft. So you may want to demonstrate this during your lesson and then give everyone a piece of paper later so they can learn the process too!
Wouldn't it be cool if you heard from parents that kids were showing their parents and friends this sin object lesson??!!
7. Jesus Takes Aways Our Sin
This object lesson demonstrates the power of Jesus to take away our sin.
Key Thought: Jesus has power over our sin!
- Clear vase or jar
- Red food coloring
- penny (optional)
- Light the candle and put it on a plate of water
- Add the penny (if desired)...the plate can also represent us if you'd rather
- Cover the candle with the clear jar and watch the water get sucked up!
Tip: Practice this one to figure out the ideal amount of water, and the best size candle. You may have a little water left on the plate...you just don't want a lot of water left.
So what else can I say about sin, that hasn't already been covered on this page...lol
This a fun object lesson because it involves fire...which always makes things fun.
This one you need to see up close. You may want to gather your kids around the plate as you do this particular object lesson so they can get a great view.
And...hopefully ALL the boys don't stick their finger in the water 🙂
8. Free from the Power of Sin
A slightly more complicated sin object lesson you'll love!
Key Thought: Jesus breaks the power of sin!
- a rubber band
- a ring
- a little practice 🙂
- Watch the video demonstration...
Maybe you've read through the other object lessons here and thought...
"Nathan, I want you to challenge me a little!"
Well, then...no problem!
This one is going to require a little practice - and that's OK!!
Once you are comfortable with the "magic move" described in the video you'll have a wonderful demonstration of our life before Jesus - we are "dead in our trespasses and sins"
But Jesus has made us, ALIVE! We are free from the power of sin because of the blood of Jesus. Use this fun magic trick object lesson to demonstrate just that.
9. No More Sin
In this simple object lesson we see that Jesus removes and forgive us of all our sins.
Key Thought: Jesus removes our sin from us!
- Small Pot
- Paper (flash paper is recommended)
- Put the paper into the small pot
- Light the paper on fire
- Show the empty pot!
This trick is as easy as "light flash paper on fire"
But sometimes it's the easiest tricks that leave the most impact! This is why I'm suggesting you use flash paper because it will make a big burst of fire and then disappear. Lighting regular old paper on fire will create smoke, will take longer, and potentially will leave ash on the floor.
Lastly...I would encourage you not to talk about our sin "disappearing" but rather - Jesus removing it or that Jesus took our sin and defeated it. I don't know that I see anywhere in Scripture the idea that our sin "disappears".
Either way - enjoy this lesson!